Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Meet the Editors: Allison Williams

Five Things About Allison

1. Why did you become a nurse?

Like Roger, I started out as a nurse associate. I worked in a midwifery unit in my school holidays where my mother was a midwife. I hadn’t the faintest idea about babies and kept pretty much to myself. However, this experience has stayed with me and may have lit the lamp for my nursing career. I qualified as a registered nurse in a large country town in Victoria, Australia, three years later. My work now as Director of the Monash Nursing Academy is a long way from these humble but incredibly valuable beginnings.

2. Why did you become an editor?

Good question. I enjoy the scholarly aspect of nursing having spent a good deal of my life working in the clinical environment. I enjoy reading about nursing and I like writing even though it takes me a lot of time to create a paper I am satisfied with.

3. What advice would you give to aspiring editors?

If you are offered the opportunity, take it! You need to be prepared to spend quality time on editorial work. Good time management skills are essential.

4. What are the main challenges for nursing in the next decade?
  • Maintaining quality of care for people who require long term care. 
  • Having a say in health policy affecting patient care. For example, multinational companies eager to grab a chunk of the healthcare market without considering the consumer’s point of view or the value of the money spent.

5. Who do you recommend to follow on Twitter?

I am a new tweeter- yet to be decided.


1 comment:

  1. I'm #Following all of this goodness!
    Thank you for creating this space :)

    My space in the cyber world is at
    https:// twitter.com/thenursingthang

    ReplyDelete